Pages

Friday, October 1, 2010

Easy Ham, Green Beans & Potatoes... OH MY!


Hey... It's steamy, drizzly and the grass is growing like Jurassic Park these days in what is usually Sunny Florida. Just in case you wanted an updated weather report, there ya go!  We just came back from a fun Family wedding in Pennsylvania, where the leaves are just beginning to turn a gorgeous color. 
It is quite something when 10 out of eleven siblings get together. I realize just how much I miss my wonderful, witty family and relatives.  We danced, we drank, we laughed a lot and ate wonderful food. PLUS the bonus we celebrated a joyous occasion - my nephew Sean McNeal's wedding.
Congrat's to Morgan and Sean.  Morgan welcome to the family!  BTW.. best wedding cake ever!!
Some pix of the wedding on this very page folks!  Check out the "wedding cake domes" Very art nouveau!
 
So.. This easy delicious - comfy food is dedicated to my friend Karan in Albuquerque NM.  I had sent her a pix of the plating sometime ago.. and she emailed me back saying - THATS exactly what her Mom use to make and she wasn't sure how to do it and it was one of her favorite dishes growing up.  So Karan my friend, this one is for you!  
Here it is:
 
 
Easy Ham, Green Beans & Potatoes 
 
 
INGREDIENTS:
6 Qts.  boiling water in a stock pot
2 Bay Leaves
One Spiral Ham - {bone in} - pre cooked {any size works}
2 Lbs Fresh Green Beans, snap off the ends and rinse
2 Lbs Red Potatoes - skins on, cut into quarters
1 Lb Fresh Carrots peeled and cut into  2 inch lengths or so
* If you have a head of cabbage around toss it into the mix, for the last 10 minutes.  I  usually cut the head into quarters, and take out the core.
 
NOTE To Self:  Let's talk ham!  It s so funny whenever I head to the grocery store shopping and 'am in the mood for ham, I pick up a spiral ham.  Usually 5 lbs or so and I look at the price of $13-$15 bucks, then I set it back into the meat section again.  I have a "hard time with the initial investment"- simply because I can be rather thrifty at times!  Well, I circle around the grocery store a few times talking myself into the reasons as to why I should grab that ham, and  end  up getting it any way. How do I convince myself? Easy... I do believe a ham must take care of a minimum of 10 meals, at least.  That balances out the cost.
 
Anyway.. here's the "heads up".  Long before that ham becomes Easy Ham, Potatoes & Green Beans - it becomes wonderful ham and cheese sandwiches for packing lunches, or ham wraps, then we see it again for pan-fried  Ham with Mac& Cheese one evening.  By now we are half way through our ham and we want a change.  That's where this recipe comes in.  So easy and it just warms your belly!   
 
Lets get cookin'!  Bring your pot of water to a boil.  Drop the ham into your boiling water along with your Bay Leaves.  Now lower the heat to medium and let the ham simmer for an hour or 2 until the ham starts to fall off the bone.  A lot of the ham fat will rise to the surface as it is cooking.  This is the perfect time to skim the fat off the top of your mixture with a slotted spoon.  Once the meat has pretty much fallen off the bone  {you want some  small pieces of meat still on that bone, for your next meal you are gonna' create}, it is time to toss in your carrots, beans and potatoes.  But before adding in the vegetables, remove the bone from your broth and set it aside.  We are reserving the bone for Split Pea Soup.  Keep the broth cooking at a low boil with the vegetables added in.  It will take about 30 minutes until the potatoes are  fork tender, just test them once in a while.  Add in your cabbage to cook for the last 10 minutes.
Scoop the mixture onto a plate with lots of the juices.  Grab a nice slice of warm bread to sop up the goodness,  and enjoy this wonderful dinner!  
 
Shall I now pass on my "Split Pea Soup Recipe"???? It is easier then the Ham, Potatoes, Green Bean Recipe!  Ya SEE!!! It's  the Ham that just keeps on givin!
Drop me a note on my blog and let me know if your interested in this next step recipe...Split Pea Soup.
 
Wishing You Great Energy & Great Meals!
 
Cathy Hazzard
Hazzard In The Kitchen! 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Cathy,

    As an ex-Philly girl, I use Philly cream cheese on my bagels, toast with jelly, and cheese cake and other recipes that call for cream cheese. Love it all!
    Best,
    Nancy J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Guru:
    I love Philly cream cheese with cherries in my stuffed french toast.
    RGC

    ReplyDelete